Have you ever had something you just could not make? A meal, a dessert, something like that? My problem is cookies. Now, I love to cook. I love to try new things. I rarely follow a recipe more than once or twice, after that i just know how to make it and can adjust the recipe to my family's liking. I CANNOT make chocolate chip cookies. Isn't that horrible? I have tried several recipes, and they always come out flat and crisp. I cook them less time and they come out flat and gooey. I add more flour, they are stiff and flat . I've tried interchanging butter, margarine, and crisco... no deal. Now, I make a mean peanut butter cookie, and it ALWAYS comes out. I've even forgotten things, like how many eggs, and it came out. I've substituted mayo for some oil/butter/eggs and they come out and the butter/margarine/crisco/oil IS interchangeable. THEY ALWAYS COME OUT GREAT!!!!. So why can't I make chocolate chip cookies????
My boys have been begging for haystack cookies. I have never made them, but they looked simple enough. 12 oz chocolate chips, 12 oz chow mein noodles, 1 tbls butter.
I had no chocolate chips.So, rather than run to the store, i decided to be thrifty. I have unsweetened baking chocolate waiting for use. I checked the handy dandy internet and found a substitution. 1oz unsweeted baking chocolate+1tbls sugar = 1oz semi sweet chocolate.okay, sounds simple. right? They were NASTY, the sugar never blended with the chocolate, so they are bitter and gritty. I tossed them in powdered sugar in hopes that it would sweeten them up, now they taste okay at the first bite, but a few seconds later you mouth puckers!!Needless to say. I have a plate of haystacks that no one will touch!!!Does anyone have a recipe for haystacks? Im not even sure this is the recipe they had.
My boys have been begging for haystack cookies. I have never made them, but they looked simple enough. 12 oz chocolate chips, 12 oz chow mein noodles, 1 tbls butter.
I had no chocolate chips.So, rather than run to the store, i decided to be thrifty. I have unsweetened baking chocolate waiting for use. I checked the handy dandy internet and found a substitution. 1oz unsweeted baking chocolate+1tbls sugar = 1oz semi sweet chocolate.okay, sounds simple. right? They were NASTY, the sugar never blended with the chocolate, so they are bitter and gritty. I tossed them in powdered sugar in hopes that it would sweeten them up, now they taste okay at the first bite, but a few seconds later you mouth puckers!!Needless to say. I have a plate of haystacks that no one will touch!!!Does anyone have a recipe for haystacks? Im not even sure this is the recipe they had.
1 comment:
First of all, they do make the chocolate chip cookie dough already to cut up and place on the pan, you know? Just don't tell! lol
I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but here's a recipe for chocolate haystacks that I have:
CHOCOLATE HAYSTACKS
1 (6 oz.) pkg. semi-sweet chocolate pieces
1/2 c. chopped nuts
2 1/2 c. cereal (corn flakes, puffed rice, or wheat)
Melt chocolate pieces in top of double boiler over boiling water. Add nuts and cereal; mix well. Remove from heat. Drop by tablespoons onto wax paper on a cookie sheet. Chill in refrigerator until haystacks harden. Makes about 2 dozen. Haystacks break easily. Store in a box between layers of wax paper.
~Kristi
Post a Comment