Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Hats

"Hats Off to Christian Women" was the theme of the very first Ladies Spectacular I attended. I did not know what to expect when we were requested to create a hat that best represented who we were. In fact,I didn't make one at all. The hats ranged from simple to elegant, silly to serious.
One lady wore wedding dress, and used netting to make a bird cage on top of her head. She also had 2 live white doves inside the "cage" this was her 'wife' hat . One lady simply turned a laundry box upside down on her head and labeled it 'Laundress'There was a Philipino village on a hat, with little people on it, it was a 'Missionary' hat. I found I wear many hats, usually all at once. I always wear a 'wife' hat, my 'mom' hat never comes off either. They didn't fit too well when I first put them on, but now I could not imagine being without them. I sometimes stack on those the 'laundress' hat, the 'teachers' hat, the 'nurses' hat, 'secretarys' hat, 'friend','daughter','daughter-in-law', 'sister','housekeeper','dishwasher','gardener'....well, you get the idea. You would think that stacking so many things on top of each other SOMETHING would fall. I have found though that the hat that keeps the rest stacked up right, on top of my head is kinda like a turban. it actually starts on the bottom very close to my head and then is big enough to wrap entirely around and over ALL the other hats., no matter how many hats I am currently wearing. It is the 'Helmet of Salvation'. It makes all the other 'hats' fit right. Keeps them on, keeps them clean. For a long time I kept trying to put the hats ON TOP of my salvation, that didn't work. No matter how hard I tried I just couldn't keep my balance and it seems like something was always getting left off. Once I learned to stick those hats UNDER my salvation it cloaked everyhing I did. How I treat my husband, how I deal with my children, how I act, how I dress, how I treat my mom, sister, in-laws....So, where do you wear your 'hats'?

1 comment:

Kristi said...

Susan, that was a great post. I like the illustration of the helmet of salvation holding all of the other hats in place.

~Kristi