Thursday, August 7, 2008

Lions

Oh, what a wonderful message we heard last night at church. We had a guest preacher and he really preached hard. I didn't start taking notes until about halfway through, and there is WAY too much to cover in one post so I'll probably hit the highlights, or what really stood out to me in several different posts over a period of time.



His main text was found in 2 Corinthians 2:11 Lest Satan should get an advantage of us: for we are not ignorant of his devices.




We have to realize is that Satan is going try to destroy us. We have to be aware of him, and how he works. Sometimes he is in our churches, even carrying a Bible and spouting verses. The Bible says in 1 Peter 5:8 Be sober,be vigilant,because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour.


So to learn about the devil we need to learn about lions, and understand how they hunt, how they feast, what they want.


The devil is our adversary, not other children of God. Not other christians. We are not to battle other christians. The bible even tells us to pray for them, and if we have a problem with them to go to them personally in MEEKNESS, since we are no better then they, and we have our own sins. The bible does NOT say to talk ABOUT them, that is allowing the devil to get an advantage in the house of God. How sad that so many lost folks wont go to church because of what they have heard 'christians' say about one another. He (the preacher) said we really need to be ecspecially careful of "prayer gossip" it usually starts with 'we need to pray for so and so BECAUSE.... and then the gossip follows.


This next thing really hit me hard. Unfortunately, I have experienced this first hand. In 1 Kings 13 the Bible tells us of a man of God out of Judah. When king Jeroboam asked the man of God to pray for him to heal his hand, he did, and was healed. The king then asked that man of God to stay awhile, and he would be rewarded, but the Lord had spoken and the man of God was not to stay. So he left, obeying the conviction of the Lord.But there happened to be an older 'wiser' prophet in the land, who went after him and said to him that he too was a prophet of God, and an angel of the Lord had spoken to him and asked that the younger prophet to be brought back. BUT HE WAS LYING!!!! He had NOT heard from the Lord,he was just convinced there was no reason for that young prophet to leave, it was no big deal for him to stay awhile. The younger prophet returned with him and was refreshed with food and water then he left and he was eaten by a LION!


Sometimes the Lord will convict us of something we should be doing, or not doing, or doing differently and a 'wiser' older Christian who means well will convince us it's really no big deal. We don't need to do this or that. We don't need to dress that modestly... or we don't need to personally tell that person about Jesus, just a tract would be okay...or it's really okay to go there...and it's alright to listen to that...


When the Holy Spirit has worked in our hearts, and we have felt the conviction of the Lord, it's so, so important to pay attention, and not let other christians sway us. The Lord may not have convicted them about that yet, so they have no idea what the Lord has in store for you.That is why we have to be so vigilant. The devil may be able to use someone we know to keep us from fulfilling Gods will. If we stay in Gods word, we will know the right thing to do, no matter who tells us differently, we will never be convicted of something contrary to Gods word.

Well, thats all for now. That doesnt even begin to cover how the devil IS like a lion, and how to fight him... and so on. Hope you had a wonderful Wednesday night too!!


3 comments:

Starla said...

Awesome post!!!! Last Sunday the main verse that was taught was 1 Peter 5:8. I love that verse. Also you were telling about how some Christians will tell you it is OK to do this or that. Well it reminds me of one of my favorite stories in a devotional book and it talks about times of war people having friendly fire with their own people. And sometimes that is how some Christians are, they think they are helping but they are really firing at their own people and causing them to spiritually die. Again I want to say I really enjoyed this post can't wait to read more.

Tiffany said...

Sounds like Wed. was a great service! I love love love my pastor but I also like having guest speakers! Thank you for this post it really spoke to my heart!

Kristi said...

Sounds like a great message!

He's right about not battling other Christians. That's one reason I stick with Romans 16:17 "Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and AVOID THEM!"
I have been in situations with people that have brought me down before I realized what was going on. I talked with them like the Bible said. But it did no good. So, now I avoid them. I pray for them. But I avoid them because they haven't changed at all.

And I know EXACTLY what you mean about taking the advice of an older or wiser Christian. We have to be so careful of that, ESPECIALLY when the Holy Spirit is leading another direction. It's so important to PRAY about EVERYTHING. Even things that seem small.

~Kristi