That silly little thing was spinning a cocoon on the side of the tank!!! Poor buggar eventually fell, crawled onto a stick and tried again. But, once again he fell. I think maybe he is too fat to hang on! He is now under a leaf, against the stick, and he's cocooned himself up inside, so we can't see him. I tried to pull some of the leaves and un-used sticks out of the way, so maybe I could get a picture, but is all fastened tight together with the cocooning thread. I never realized it was that strong. So, until the metamorphism, we have a new pet named Fred. I still have not figured out what kind he is, but I have not finished looking at whats that bug. They say they get really fat like that when they are ready to pupate.
A wonderful pastor I know said of his family tree " Leave my family tree alone!I know there's a booger in the woodpile somewhere and I don't want to know who it is!!" I found that so amusing that 8 years later I still giggle! So, come along as I find the "boogers" in my family, and I learn a few things along the way.
Tuesday, September 23, 2008
Sunday after church, we found the biggest caterpillar I have ever seen, crawling on the eaves of the house. The kids caught it, and put it in a tank, just for temporary purposes, so we could all see it. I also wanted to go to http://www.whatsthatbug.com/ to try to find out what kind it was. Well, it was a few hours before I actually got to sit down long enough to really look at it, and this is what I found.



That silly little thing was spinning a cocoon on the side of the tank!!! Poor buggar eventually fell, crawled onto a stick and tried again. But, once again he fell. I think maybe he is too fat to hang on! He is now under a leaf, against the stick, and he's cocooned himself up inside, so we can't see him. I tried to pull some of the leaves and un-used sticks out of the way, so maybe I could get a picture, but is all fastened tight together with the cocooning thread. I never realized it was that strong. So, until the metamorphism, we have a new pet named Fred. I still have not figured out what kind he is, but I have not finished looking at whats that bug. They say they get really fat like that when they are ready to pupate.
That silly little thing was spinning a cocoon on the side of the tank!!! Poor buggar eventually fell, crawled onto a stick and tried again. But, once again he fell. I think maybe he is too fat to hang on! He is now under a leaf, against the stick, and he's cocooned himself up inside, so we can't see him. I tried to pull some of the leaves and un-used sticks out of the way, so maybe I could get a picture, but is all fastened tight together with the cocooning thread. I never realized it was that strong. So, until the metamorphism, we have a new pet named Fred. I still have not figured out what kind he is, but I have not finished looking at whats that bug. They say they get really fat like that when they are ready to pupate.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
How fun!! I cant wait to see what Fred looks like. Two years ago I gaught 250 catipilars for my preschool class so everyone got to pick one, name it then watch the process they go through. When they turned into butterflies they got to let them go. It was a lot of fun!
Post a Comment