Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Promised Pictures

My Birthday

The kids decided to surprise me.They made paper chains and homemade confetti and decorated the living room while I was out with my Mom. It was funny, my Mom was in on the secret and kept piddling around the grocery store, I knew we needed to get back to fix dinner and that Jon was waiting and kept trying to hurry her along, but she just would not GO!!





My old frog purse broke and the kids found me new one!! Shelby painted the plate from a craft kit she got several years ago. She kept saying it wasnt the right time to paint it...she did great, and thank you Hannah, you gave her the kit 3 or 4 years ago!!



confetti on the floor




confetti on the piano




At the fun zone
I thought this was too funny. Shelby was ski balling and everytime she rolled she stuck her tongue out. (At least until I showed her the picture!!)




The boys are very intent.




Shelby begging coins off dad!!




My son. I am so proud of him!!!



All 4 of my kids waiting for their turn on the go carts!!
Oh yeah, I only have 3 kids, the other is Jon!!




Fort Pulaski
Just a neat tree trunk





I told my kids to NEVER complain about their food again!!



My prisoner of love!!











The inside of the fort. They actually played baseball in there!







You can't see it very well, but when I was crossing the draw bridge, I noticed for the first time the cannon peeking out of the window.









These mounds were built to store ammunition underground. There are several of them, and the tunnels go all over.



Inside it was dark and cool.





I REALLY wanted to go into that one. Just beacause they closed and locked the door!!


The moat is 8 feet deep and is fed by hand cranked valves that would fill it from the Savannah River . It has alligators and turtles living in it.



A picture of a picture of what it used to look like.







Old Savannah
The book and movie Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
was based on the owner of this home.

In front of the factors walk.


I had to pick and choose which pictures I wanted to post. I took several. We did not get to see nearly all of it, but what we did see was neat. We took the trolley tour which I was thankful for.

I learned so many neat little facts that I don't believe I would have noticed elsewhere.

Like, John Wesley came over with his brother to be the priest of the Angelican Church. He and his brother Charles are known as the founders of the Methodist movement and Charles has written over 500 hymns. They credited much of this to the voyage over to Savannah, some Moravian Pietist were on the ship and there was a terrible storm. While everyone was fearful of the ship sinking the Moravians were singing praises to God and had no fear. This changed John Wesleys outlook on the Lord, and his own faith.



Jingle Bells was written at one other churches. Imagine that... "Dashing through the snow..." IN SAVANNAH????
It was written by the music director of the Unitarian Church, James Pierpont, in the 1850's .

There is also the First and Second African Baptist churches. They are literally the first Baptist churches for Africans in the US.


This is the waving girl. Every day for 40 years she would wave a welcome to incoming ships, and all the sailors would wave back to her. She was so dedicated to it, she trained her dog to wake her up if a ship was coming in and she was still sleeping!



This is the pirates House. It is where Robert Louis Stevenson got the idea for Treasure Island. There are tunnels under it that run to the river. The pirates would help get young men drunk then shanghai them through the tunnels onto the pirates ships and take them out to sea!
The blue on the shutters is called "haint blue" and many residences and businesses in Savannah have this around their homes. The Gullahs believed it would prevent evil spirits from entering your home. This tradition passed to the locals. Those who did not want to be seen as superstitious ( but really were) just painted it under the overhang so no one could see it from the streets.

3 comments:

Kristi said...

Loved all the pictures! Our family likes touring old forts too. Have y'all been to Fort Moultrie? They have a project for kids to do while they're there. They give them a piece of paper with a check list and they have to find the things on the check list and mark them off. Then when they turn it in before they leave, they're given a patch, like the ones you sew on to your shirts. Very cool. :D

When you said Hannah gave the craft kit, was that my Hannah? The birthday plate is awesome!! I love it.

Hope you had a very happy birthday!

~Kristi

Susan said...

Yes, that was your Hannah, several years ago!! Shelby kept waiting, saying she did not have the 'perfect' plan yet.

Susan said...

Oh, and I have never heard of Moultrie. We will have to find it. we have 2 more in this area to visit, now that it is cooling down, we are makin' plans!!