Saturday, May 8, 2010

oH So bUsY

Do you remember the Veggie Tales song... Busy Busy dreadfully busy,.....

Well, that's what life has become around here!

On March 19th I was supposed to take the kids for a leisurely trip for a weeks vacation at Nana's house, where we would all get spoiled rotten for a few days. Jon was going to end up spending the week in Columbus GA, so the timing was perfect, BUT....
the owners of the company Jon works for called and asked if I could come to Atlanta for emergency HR and payroll training. The person who was doing those jobs was leaving at the end of the week...this would be their last payroll.. and Jonathan had volunteered me to take the job on the stipulation that it become part time, and I could do it from home...
SOOOO, the kids got to spend a week with Nana getting spoiled rotten without me...( a first for them) and I got a mini honeymoon (ha!) in a hotel in Atlanta with my hubby ( he ended up NOT having to spend the week in Columbus), and going to his corporate office each morning, and learning about HR and payroll...

I can say that if you are going to spend a week in a hotel, and you want something nice but cheap and dont care about the frills, the Intown Suites were pretty nice. It has a little kitchenette ( no dishes though) a sink and two burner stove, a full size fridge, a microwave and a big enough room that you're not all crammed in, all for about 27$ a night.
It was very clean and nice, but they only change the sheets once a week, and do not replace towels or toilet paper, so come prepared... the laundry room is cheap though...

Well, I am now officially a stay at home, house keeping, husband helping, homeschooling, full-time HR and payroll director!!!

It is crazy around here during the week! It is not, not not, a part time job!!
The first week I ran payroll by myself, 1 person did not get paid,and 4 more did not get the right hours....(((sigh)))
I learned to quadruple check EVERYTHING , and everything is fixable!!!!
The second payroll I ran I only managed to make 1 mistake... I direct deposited one guys money in another guys account! Fixable, YES!!Easy to fix??? NONONO, I wont go into the details, but it was a comedy of errors, the final result being 900 phone calls and three days later at least the 1 guy got his money, and the other will be paying it back!

Yesterday was my third payroll, I THINK it went well. It was an hour late getting out due to glitches....but I THINK it will be okay...( small prayer here!!)

I actually enjoy it, I dont enjoy the time it takes though. I am getting faster, and the loose ends that were left for me are gradually getting tied up. It will eventually end up being a 3/4 time job, but if I can do it from home, I do not mind.
I enjoy the challenge of it and I love learning new things. Plus, I feel like I am even closer to my hunny. We work together, sometimes he is at one end of the table, I am at the other, both pecking away at our computers....I am involved in his work... he is still very protective of me, and is able to extend that protection even to the work place. He would not be able to if I worked for another company! I NEVER get nasty-grams in the email box!!:)

Anyways,
gotta scoot.
I have another post to post after I run some errands. ( Someone had a birthday!)
Susan

2 comments:

Kristi said...

You'll do a GREAT job!!! :D

Love ya,
~Kristi

Kristi said...

Update your blog, woman! ha haaa...just kidding. :D Ok, maybe I'm a little bit serious.

I had a virus on my computer and lost your email address. Could you send me an email, please, so I can snag your addy?

Love ya,
~kristi