Monday, August 30, 2010

Laird Family Drama

Okay, we rarely have any kind of an uproar in my family. My Mom works, NEVER EVER gets ill, although she is in her 70's, my sister works has a busy house with three teen boys, and you pretty well see what I am up to.
Well, last night (Saturday) we had ourselves a bit of excitement.
About 9:30 Sharon ( my sister) calls and is in a panic. She was at a football game and happened to notice that she had 5 missed calls and 2 messages on her cell phone.
The first message was my Mom telling her that she had fallen, hit her face, broke her tooth, and knocked herself out. Please call.
The second message was a repeat of the first, only this time she followed it with "But don't worry I am okay"
Then my mom called her 3 more times and did not leave a message.
Of course, Sharon immediately called back and while my Mom DID pick up the phone, she did not say a word. Sharon could hear background noise, but my Mom never spoke, then the line went dead.
Sharon called back several times, but the phone would ring busy....
So, Sharon called me.
Jon and I decided it was one of three scenarios
1) Mom went to bed. ( having left the phone on)
2) Mom got a friend to take her to the hospital( having left the phone on)
3) Mom is really hurt, having dropped the phone...

Now , remember, I am in Savannah, 6 hours away, and Sharon was about an hour away....so I called a neighbor of my Moms and asked if they would please go check on her.

They knocked and banged, but no one answered. Gabby the dog was going nuts, all the lights were on, but my Mom just did not answer the door.
Now, my Mom is deaf in one ear, but that was a little too much noise for her to not wake up!


SOOOO... I called 911. ( Do you know how hard it is to get the 'right' 911 from a different state??)

I gave them permission to break in. Warned them about the gun. And then waited.......

Sure enough, my Mom was sound asleep in her bed. She woke up to see three deputies and several paramedics staring at her. ( at least she did not have time to find the gun, right??)

She HAD fallen and hit her face. Her nose was bleeding and she did knock herself out.
She has no recollection of even calling Sharon, just remembers getting a bag of ice, and deciding to go to bed, in her words " I was tired and decided to go to bed and just forget it ever happened"
Boy, did she get a surprise.
Today she is fine. Has no pain at all. Has a swollen lip and slightly blue nose, and is refusing to go to work tomorrow if the swelling is not down,

NOT because it hurts, but she says she looks like a witch!!!LOL. go figure, but thats my mom!

By the way, I cant remember the paramedics name, but I called my neighbor when they arrived, and the one paramedic stayed on the phone with me the whole time, telling me what was going on. He also insisted on calling my sister himself to make sure she slowed down and understood that Mom was okay! That was an amazing kindness!


Mom was a little embarrassed today.
EVERY neighbor is getting a key to her home,
and Jon is putting in a special key pad deadbolt so we can give access to neighbors (or police) in the future!
I have the neighbors and the local Sheriffs office on speed dial ( I am not dealing with the cross state 911 mess again!!)
And for the first time ever, My mom said was going to see if a hearing aid would help!( She has been deaf in that ear for as long as I can remember!)

SO, all is well, and the Lairds have had their once in a decade drama!!

1 comment:

Kristi said...

Oh Susan!!! What a story. That's something I worry about concerning daddy. Mom gets around fine, but I'm afraid for daddy to be by himself sometimes. The lock for officers and EMTs is a good idea!!!!! And so is passing out keys. John and I both have keys, but giving it to someone else would be a good idea too.
Hug your mom and tell her I'm glad it wasn't worse than what it was...but it was still bad!!!

~Kristi